Thanksgiving...woot
Yay, today is the Thanksgiving holiday here, and for the third night running we are going to a Thanksgiving dinner (tonight at the Korean Salvos youth pastors' place). Good think I don't hate turkey :) Yesterday was pretty chaotic - the church had a full dinner thing in the gym of the school across the road from us. We got to help prepare the food and set up for two hundred odd people, which took a fair bit of doing, but we got there in the end. There was alot of TV coverage (I think I counted at least 3 stations, plus Salvos reporters and newspapers I think) because we were meant to cook it all at our kitchen - which conveniently burned down, so everyone was sending donations and stuff to help out, and all the TV stations wanted to show how it all worked out. And apparently there was some politician helping serving too. Don't ask me who - I was too busy avoiding the cameras...
So yeah! My first ever Thanksgiving...weekend? Was pretty good - Saturday night we went to Joe and Patricia's place. I tried pumpkin pie for the first time... meh, not my fave, but not as bad as Hershey's chocolate... But there was great apple pie, only they eat it with cheese instead of custard!!!! Oh my gosh, they don't know what they're missing out on... Freaky...
So what do I have to be thankful for? The usual stuff that I am always aware I am thankful for - vriendin (is that how you spell friends in dutch?), family, SAGALA and scouts, my awesome sunburnt country, and my Salvos division (Sth Qld RULES!), the internet and email, my abilities and gifts, public libraries, and the pros of my life so far - like peace and freedom, and opportunities etc. And of course grace... how stuffed would I be without it... There's nothing like a lengthy trip away from everything and everyone normal in your life to remind you constantly to be thankful for the things you already appreciated... lol... kidding. But I seriously was thankful for those things before I went away - they are too awesome to take for granted. "Thanksgiving day" should just reiterate what you already know...

2 Comments:
vriendin = friend (female)
vriend = friend (male)
vrienden = friends (male and general)
vriendinnen = friends (female)
Holy mackerel,you guys have alot of words for stuff...that doesn't make it AT ALL trickier to learn... (note the sarcasm...)
Post a Comment
<< Home