Dude...Sunbeams is so better than brownies...
Holy mackerel.
I went to volunteer at a brownie group last night. In the rain... Dude... I don't know about brownies in Australia, but from what I saw that night about brownies in Canada...
Their uniform consists of a scarf and sash ONLY. (As far as I saw) No woggle. I think they can choose what to do with their uniform, but the entire country doesn't wear uniform - no school uniform etc.
It was like, subconsciously the whole night I was waiting to take a breath or something. There were about 8 seven and eight year old girls (brownies is for 7 & 8 year olds apparently) and it was so quiet... they played a couple of fully tame games, and pretty much the whole night was badgework of some kind - mostly paperwork, or learning badgework via made up boardgames. But mostly I noticed the complete LACK of anything to do with God - which when I thought about it was why I was mentally holding my breath. I swear, apart from there being no older kids to look up to (for the younger ones), or younger kids to help out (for the older ones) like in sunbeams (they were all basically the same age), that was the thing that took the heart right out of it. They didn't have any kind of devotions, they had no prayer, God was removed from their promise and law; and they sang TAPS with no mentions of God. Dude.
It was ok I guess... and admittedly I have only been one night... but I think if I had been in that brownie group instead of sunbeams I wouldn't have been around anywhere near so long.
I hesitate to ask it... but what's the point? I don't even know if they get the equivalent of a divisional camp... I am somewhat depressed. I always knew SAGALA was legendary, but now I may know why people thought it was weird that I liked something like Girl Guides... It's so different... I think I will now liken it more to scouts :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home