Thursday, May 07, 2009

Shooting...

No I didn't get shot AT, lol :)

But I DID shoot a gun (or three).

Joe took me out to a property where we're planning a SAGALA camp, and part of the property is used by a (heavily supervised) shooting range. And then I got to try shooting some guns because Joe is a member there and knows all the staff.

So the first one was like, this giant pistol - about a foot and a half long, but not a rifle. You held it low against your middle because it jumped back like crazy, so after I'd had a couple of goes I managed to whack myself in the solar plexus when I shot it, so I held it more to the side after that!

The second one I could aim at a target instead of just shooting the dirt mound around the range - it was just like, a pistol, and I did 3 magazines with 10 cartridges each. The first time my aim was awful, but at least it was all in the right direction! The second time I got a few more on the red dot where I was aiming, but the third time I think I finally got what the guy said about locking your wrists, and I totally shot the red circle to pieces :) Sweet!

Then some other random guy at the range let me have a go of this rifle which had shock absorbers, so you didn't smash your shoulder every time you shot. That one was cool, cos you could sort of aim (although not at a paper target). And Joe got some photographic evidence that I actually did all this, but I don't know if he can download it off his phone or not...

Sufficed to say, I don't think I will be joining the military, or the police, because I would have an extremely hard time actually using one of those things for anything other than paper target shooting. Don't ask me what I'd do in the middle of a war for self defence cos I honestly don't know. Guns are pretty freaky anyway. I think I like archery better, even if guns are easier to aim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home