Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Random Dutch people :)

How sweet it is!
After a fully routine week something of note has actually happened that I can actually write about without boring you all to tears!!!

On Saturday we went to the St Jamestown church service - it's another 614 church (I go to 614 in Regent Park; it refers to the verse in Isaiah 61:4 - Rebuild, Restore, Renew) in the next suburb over (the population density is pretty high around here - lots of apartments). Anyway there was a couple from the Netherlands!! Yay! They are Marieke and Johannes and they have a small kid whom I haven't met yet, but it was so sweet and I got to try out my dodgy dutch on them and freak them out!!! Hopefully not too much. But they are training as missionaries to go to Malawi, and they are here for the next four months. I hope they keep coming! they taught me Rotterdam slang for "cool" which is "lauw". Not sure of the spelling... So yeah! How sweet is that!

AND THEN!!! (Wait for it...)
I got home, and David was just sitting around in the living room. David is a guy from Nova Scotia who is staying with us for about ten days while he has doctor's appointments for his eyes. Anyway, I fully just walk in, and say "Hoi, hoe gaat het?" (as you do when you're fairly sure they don't speak dutch...HOW else am I meant to practise??!!!) AND THE GUY FULLY RESPONDS IN DUTCH!! IT WAS SO COOL!!!! I'm fully like, "oh my gosh you are a total legend how cool are you, you are my best friend ever!!!!!" (I was a bit excited, so I'm allowed to exaggerate :P) Turns out there was a stack of dutch people where he grew up, or where he loved at some point in Nova Scotia and yeah. He speaks some dutch!!! SWEET! So yeah. More random people to practise on for a while!!!

It was so totally sweet!

2 Comments:

At 3:34 am, Blogger Ruud Vermeij said...

Isn't it amazing, the words we use to indicate something is good!
We use the English terms "Hot" and "Cool" as well as the Dutch term "Lauw" (you spelled it right) which literally means "luke warm"...
So something can be "Hot", "Cool" or "Lauw", and it all means about the same. Not very biblical though :-) (see Revelations 3:14-16.)

 
At 8:18 pm, Blogger Stephanie said...

Rofl!!! dude, that's so funny! I'm fully going to steal that and say it to at least one other person, lol! so true, so very true :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home