Saturday, July 14, 2007

Others

I can't get it out of my head. "Others" - being the theme for the SAROOTS conference I attended in Canada just before I left.

And now that I am back in suburban Brisbane, it is weird that I will go to church tomorrow, and then have to work to find things to do all week. At Regent Park, Sunday afternoon church really was incidental to the whole rest of the week. Even if I was only an extra pair of hands :) Jack of all trades :)

Where Would Jesus Live? (Geoff mate, you're a pain :)) Where will I live and what work will I do? At the moment, the answer to that is a) at home and b) I don't know yet - I haven't started applying. Where can I be useful? It's kind of annoying that I memorised Isaiah 58 - I keep thinking the words "... and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed" because it is so hard to find any way of doing that in Suburbia. And if I can find some sorry excuse for "fighting injustice" out here, it pales in comparison to the injustice I know must exist elsewhere. So I would just be kidding myself!! Not that I am meaning to be judgmental about any social justice efforts that people here are doing. But it's just that I'm trying to find what I can do with my life - career, job, whatever; and how I can use (and not waste) my abilities. And Jesus says all that stuff about sacrifice - If you lose your life for my sake you will find it. If you want to follow me, you have to give up what you want. And we are meant to follow Jesus, and his life lead to, funnily enough, "spending himself in behalf of the hungry" - day in and day out. And death. But I know he wants his gifts to be used as well. ICK. I don't know.

Maybe (hopefully) my brain will resolve something eventually...

2 Comments:

At 9:30 pm, Blogger Grace C said...

check this out: http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0707&article=070720 -- to help balance out the urban bias we've picked up from ignite :) who knows whether the trend mentioned in it is transferable to Canada/ Aus, but i'm willing to bet it is....

i'm gonna read that Hsu book, i'll let u know what i think of it.

g

 
At 9:16 pm, Blogger Stephanie said...

lol, I doubt whether a year in urban bias land is enough to cancel 22 years in (the same HOUSE in) suburban bias land, but these were questions I was asking well before Ignite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home