Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Siren Call of a Dangerous God

Hey hey, 2 posts in one day, how freaked are you?

Anyway, for our classes we get a reading list of random books we have to read for each subject. Geoff (Major Geoff Ryan) is a reading freak and has set us about a million books and essays. Good thing some of the essays are half interesting :) Yeah. I think he teaches us Mission, but I may be wrong.

Anyway I just started his book "Siren Call of a Dangerous God" (yes it's on the reading list) and holy mackerel, FINALLY a book that I won't have to drag myself through kicking and screaming!!! Let's just say a couple of the books I've read so far have dragged a little. But I really like this one so far. It's a collection of essays, and I've only read the first one, but I liked it, and it caught my attention. Had me thinking? My brain is a pile of mush at the moment, so pretty much everything is requiring sustained thought, but still.

If anyone wants to read some of the articles we've been set, they have some up on the 614 website - www.614network.com

I like the "I Don't Mean to Cause Offence" one. I think it's the one where Rob gets asked if he has a gun by some chick cop in a restaurant, MAN that would be funny... I miss everything...

So yeah. This Saturday the people in my squad (small group of kids + leaders) are going to have a campfire on a beach. Starting at 6:30pm ish. I don't think they'll have much of an inclination to stray beyond the fire somehow... Could be cold...SHOTGUN MAKING THE FIRE!!! Yeah. It's a small group of 11 year old boys. They're ok. One of them whinged when we went bush last time and played a few field games (and copped a little bit of hail!!) but he could've been worse. It WAS his first time. But a couple of the others were legends, and a campfire is always good!! I hope Mark (organising leader) brings marshmellows...

3 Comments:

At 3:28 am, Blogger Ruud Vermeij said...

"I Don't Mean to Cause Offence" is indeed an inspiring article. But you make me curious about the book you are reading "Siren Call of a Dangerous God". What caught your attention...

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Stephanie said...

ummmmmmm... it's got a lot of stuff in it like was in " I don't mean to cause offence". It's making me think. As soon as I figure out WHY exactly, I'll email you! Or blog it. Just read the book or something dude!!! My brain at the moment is mush - I don't really know WHY I'm thinking anything... sometimes rather frustrating... yeah.

 
At 9:05 am, Blogger Stephanie said...

So true, so very true. fire is always good. we had to cancel our fire though, because it was rainy, and freezing. pretty sad turnout as well. I hope we'll have another chance to do it.

lol! Paris is good. we met someone from Petrie in a restaurant there - that's about 30 minutes drive from my house in Australia. weird as.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home