Sunday, September 09, 2007

What to write... Music :)

Geez. What have I been doing...

I have found a really cool song on my latest CD that I love, which rocks :) So I was thinking about it, as well as really liking one of United's songs - Hosanna - SWEET song... I need to find out what the proper lyrics are, but the ones that I saw in Canada went:

Chorus:
Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things I see
Show me how to love like you have loved me

Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for your Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

Dude. So often I have a hard time with songs - I don't want to sing lies, and I find myself thinking through songs and skipping lines - which really ruins it, so annoying... But dude, I found a song I love that I can sing every word and mean it. SO mean it...

The line, "Open up my eyes etc." might not be correct though - at Nth Brisbane they have the lyrics as " Open up my eyes to the things unseen." I think I might actually prefer the other version. Because it is so like us to see things, and just not care, or to think it's someone else's job, or to not understand the full impact of what we're seeing. To ask God to open up my eyes to the things I SEE seems to make more sense than just to ask him to show me the things I haven't yet seen.

Once while I was helping serve in the cafe in Regent (translation: the community cafe run out of the office in Regent Park, Toronto, Canada) and a lady kept coming back again and again for soft drink - creaming soda or something. Anyway, it's heaps sweet, and I had noticed her excessive sweet tooth, and to my credit, I had learnt enough to know that this was not normal - it was a symptom of something, but I didn't know what, and I didn't know if I could help her in any way. So I was perplexed. After a while, someone came up to me and mentioned her. "You see that lady that keeps coming up here for sweet drinks? Wanting a lot of sugar is a symptom of heroin addiction." So now I'd been told.

So my intuition is okay, but some things I see, I don't understand. And sometimes I am too distracted or busy to really see anything properly. I want to be open to God drawing my attention to the things I see. So that's what I sing.

The song on my CD is called "Never Alone" and it's by Barlow Girl. It gave me a kick in the butt when I heard it first, yeah. It's really cool.

The chorus goes:
I cried out with no reply and
I can't feel you by my side so
I hold tight to what I know - You're here
and I 'm never alone.

It's cool - when I am self pitying enough to be miserable about things, it's good to be reminded of this. And I assume it'll always be a good reminder.

So I think I might be thinking a bit differently about the songs I don't want to sing (because I would be lying). Like, at different times we have different experiences with God, and people write songs for lots of different experiences. So sometimes it's good to sing cheerful songs when my circumstances aren't cheerful, because they remind me of those times when those things were true for me. And sometimes remind me of truth, or give me hope for when those things will be real again.

So excluding songs that are shockingly perverted in the theological department, I guess I'm cool with singing those songs :) Not sing lies, but remember that songs aren't just useful for saying what is true now. Yay for random deep insights.

Anyway, at the moment I am not miserable :) So yay, anyway, I have some coolgroovy awesome songs on my CD's!! Yay! Like, "Here with me" and "Cornerstone" and "Letters from war" It's so cool!! And I got a Switchfoot CD too. So now I get to listen to "Meant to live" and stuff too :)

So yeah. Woot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home