A day in Stockholm
Monday July 19th
The day after the WYC. I was up till 3:30am last night. It stayed twilit all through midnight, and then it started getting brighter again :)
From our hostel, Ostra Real, I went sightseeing around Stockholm - to the Vasa Ship Museum, and to Skansen.
View Larger Map
This is the Vasa Ship. They made a big ship in the 1600's, which then sank on its' maiden voyage in the harbour because it's proportions weren't right. It couldn't hold enough ballast, so the first stiff breeze blew it over. A couple dozen people died.
When they finally found it again (people forgot where exactly it sank) it was in really good condition because the Baltic sea waters are muddy, not salty. It was well preserved, so they raised it in the 1960's or 70's ish, and fixed it all up, and learned heaps about history. Now the ship is in this museum.

This is Skansen. They brought together a whole lot of historical Swedish buildings from across Sweden, to make a park where people could walk around and see what Sweden used to be like. They sell great old style candy there.

A building in Skansen.

Another building in Skansen.

They had people demonstrating historical Swedish skills in Skansen, like pottery...

Unfortunately, I also got sunburnt. Oh, and had a great strawberry icecream.
In the afternoon, I went back to the hostel, and caught my bus to the airport...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home