Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ice storm

Today and last night we had an ice storm. I missed the "storm" part (whilst I slept), so just got the "ice". I think it was freezing rain or something. Basically you stepped outside, and everything looked like it had been coated in about a centimetre of glassy ice - ground included :)

The extra weight of the ice caused a bunch of branches to break off and fall - which took out a bunch of power lines. I think 300,000 people were without power today - but I wasn't one of them. I walked/"skated" my way to the thrift store. Most of the ground/footpath was coated in a slick, unbroken sheet of bumpy ice, except where people had thrown salt onto the sidewalk, or taken to it with a shovel/pickaxe.




If you look carefully, all of the metal/wire in the fence is enshrouded with ice - not just the top spiked and icicles...



My journey to the thrift store was made slightly longer thanks to a downed power line detour:


AND I figure out how to upload photos from my phone onto my computer :) Yay wifi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home