Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween!


Holy mackerel Bec! I think I found a holiday just for you!

It was so random; people dressing up as pretty much anything, and fully canvassing the streets scoring free candy from pretty much everywhere! Dude! Sure, the age limit is like 15 (18 if you look young) but still! It was so weird. The entire neighbourhood coming and knocking on people's doors, and being expected, and getting candy and stuff FOR FREE, everywhere - that sort of thing never happens in Australia. Seeing as we don't have Halloween... or even anything similar.

But it was really cool. There was a huge sense of community; some awesomely decorated houses, and OH! I got to carve a pumpkin! I ran into a random 6 year old I know, and she randomly gives me a free pumpkin! And I'm like, ok, are you sure you don't wanna carve this? And she's like, no you can have it. And I'm like, sweet! Thanks!

So I went home, and Grace said I wasn't allowed to be boring and do a face - she suggested doing flames all around. So I did, and it turned out ok! It was just a little pumpkin, but hey. I saw heaps of cool ones elsewhere, and took a bunch of photos. Eventually I will see if I can put a photo of my pumpkin on here so people can see it... WHICH I have now done, so go look at the top of this post :)

So there we go. My first experience of Halloween. My options for dressing up without buying anything for a costume were wearing my PJ's or donning one of my gorgeous scout scarves from camp. I was gonna do the PJ's option, but then decided I couldn't be bothered. And then Fiona said "You should dress up as a scout!" So my incredibly creative costume (not!) involved my normal clothes plus a red, yellow and blue scout scarf :) Yay! I was going to buy a Canadian scout shirt I saw at a thrift shop, but when I went back to see if it was still there, it had gone. Oh well. My scarf was cool :)

Pity I am too old to score free candy :(
(Check it out - I used the Canadian word - candy! How do you say it in Dutch again? I know it begins with a 'sh' sound...snoep? Ik weet het niet meer. Does that mean I can't remember? I'll check my notes when I get home...)

3 Comments:

At 4:31 am, Blogger Ruud Vermeij said...

'Snoep' is goed!
'Ik weet het niet meer.' is 'I can't remember' (but you can!)

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger Stephanie said...

YES! Look at the skill :)

 
At 11:00 pm, Blogger Stephanie said...

lol, don't think I didn't want to stick around lol!!! If I hadn't already paid to be in Canada... St Maarten hey? It sounds like a cross between christmas carolling and halloween. but seriously, who could use candy better than me???!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home